Thursday, February 24, 2011

What the average week of a small business owner is like

Submission by Robin Clapp - Web Design by Robin   

     Before I go right into my story I want to stop here and say that my blog title is only truthful if I am your average small business owner because this story is about me.  As you are reading however think about how your week usually plays out.  Am I far off?  I'd like to hear about your story so please comment at the end.
       Monday morning I started off the week with 13 jobs on my breakfast plate.  Before the week was done the job list grew by 5, shrunk by 5 and a half dozen were moved along.  Just the fact that I have the knowledge to state these statistics is, by my standards, wildly impressive.  I am a small business owner fighting the good fight!
      What is the good fight you may ask?  Simply put its gaining new business, maintaining old business, reporting on business, and last but not least doing business.  My business is designing websites.
This week to help gain and maintain business I left the comfort of my home office to present at my BNI networking meeting, lead a chamber of commerce ambassador meeting, sat on the chamber of commerce board of directors and attended a book signing/presentation on blogging (hence my inspiration).
         I believe thus far I have covered the what and how, so now lets talk about the why.  Why do I juggle on average 18 website design jobs and 4 meetings to network and build my business on any given week?  Of everything I do for my business the designing of websites is what I am most passionate about and which comes easy to me!  Lets be honest if I didn't love designing websites why would I do all the gaining, maintaining and reporting!
          Is that it?  I love designing websites so I started Web Design by Robin and here I am a small business owner.  If it were that simple why didn't I just get a job working for someone else?  OK, now we are on to something.
        It's a choice.  We all have choices and this one was mine.  I chose this road, the one where I knew there was a good chance I might make less money and have to fight hard for my next assignment.  Why did I choose to be a small business owner?  Here is this week's reason.
        My son Trevor came home from school yesterday and told me he had a new assignment where he had to pick two people to compare and write about it.  I was almost brought to tears when he said he had chosen Harry Potter and Bilbo Baggins.  Please don't laugh, let me explain.  OK, maybe you can laugh just a little bit.
        My boys and I just finished reading out loud all 7 of the Harry Potter books this past December which took over a year and a half.  In fact deep down I think they are privately hoping to get an owl on their 11th birthday inviting them to attend the Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  As you can probably guess we have moved on to the Hobbit.  Did you know - Harry has an invisibility cloak and Bilbo has an invisibility ring?  I can’t wait to read Trevor’s essay.   Reading as a family is one of our obsessions.   I don't know how else to describe it, we are obsessed!
       I don't commute 2 hours a day.  I don't pay for after school care.  I don't eat out at fast food restaurants.  I simply raise my kids and run my business the best way I know how!



Robin Clapp 
Web Design by Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment