Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Redecorating Dining Room - Planning (2)

submitted by Dotty Wyman - Dotty Wyman Designs
 
The planning portion of any design project is the most important. Start by identifying the scope of the project and your budget. These two steps are critical whether you use an interior designer or do the project yourself. The scope of my design project includes painting and papering the walls, replacing the window treatments and reupholstering the chairs. Things I also am considering to replace are the base moulding and adding recessed lighting. My budget is $4,000.

Below I have outlined my project plan. These are all the things I want to have accomplished before I have any tradespeople come to my home or order anything. Remember this is a design plan and may change as the project evolves.

Project Plan for Dining Room
  1. Identify scope and budget - above
  2. Identify date needed - If you want a project completed prior to a special event try to start it early, 2 to 3 months prior. Design projects always seem to incur delays. Lately, many fabrics are not carried in stock and the waiting time to get them can be 8 weeks. I would like to have my project completed over the summer. I am in no rush, but want to set a deadline for myself.
  3. Select finishes - I like to have most or all new finishes and fabrics selected prior to purchasing anything. This allows me to coordinate and see how everything works together. Also, if a finish is no longer available you have the opportunity to change several of your choices if needed. For example, if the paint color is based on the fabric that is now out of stock, you can get a new fabric and adjust the paint color to match. Your choices can't always occur in advance for large projects, but for my dining room project I believe it is the best approach.
  4. Hire trades people for each job - I will need to hire a carpenter/painter, electrician (if needed) and an upholsterer. I am hoping the same person can do the painting, wallpapering and moulding replacement, since it is a smaller job. I will use the same upholsterer and electrician I have used in the past. As a designer, I have contact with trades people that I trust and have seen their work. Make sure you hire reliable people with references. I will make the window treatments myself, but have factored their cost into the estimated budget.
  5. Timeline for project task completion - Most design projects need tasks to occur in some type of order, because they are contingent on the prior task. The painter/carpenter need to come first, then I can install the window treatments. The upholstery can be done any time (no contingency). If I decide to add recessed lighting, the electrician will need to come first. They will make the biggest mess and the painter can repair any damage.
  6. Execute the plan - Purchase fabrics, paint, wallpaper. Have your room ready for the trades people to do their work. Communicate with tradespeople what you want. It's hard to fix something that is already completed.

I am starting to get a good sense of where my interior design project is going. I now have my inspiration, my project scope and the design plan in place to get started. My next step is to start moving on the to do's created in my design plan. I look forward to sharing my fabric, paint and wallpapber choices.
 
Dotty Wyman
Dotty Wyman Designs
www.DottyWymanDesigns.com
info@dottywymandesigns.com

No comments:

Post a Comment