Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Redecorating Dining Room - Select Finishes (3)

Submitted by Dotty Wyman - Dotty Wyman Designs
This is my third blog about redesigning my dining room.  I initially identified the Wynn Hotel lobby as the inspiration for my room.  Next I made a plan of all the tasks I need to accomplish prior to starting work or making purchases for this redecorating project.  I have determined the scope, budget and date I would like to have the room completed.  Now I am able to do more of the fun and creative parts of decorating, selecting the finishes to be used in the room.

 The walls will be painted and wallpapered in a dark brown tone, similar to some of the Wynn lobby walls.  Since the furniture in the room is also dark I have selected a striped wallpaper with a lighter brown color as well.  The wallpaper will be hung below the chair rail and paint above it.  All the moulding in the room will remain white.  This will help to keep the room from getting too dark.  The fabric choices will also need to be light in color to keep the room lively and inviting.

Wallpaper to be used below chair rail

Four fabrics have been chosen for the room.  The window treatments will be made from a bone colored velvet and rasberry/green tassel trim .  The dining chair seats will use a raised velvet rasberry colored dot pattern along with a green fabric used for piping around the edge.  Finally, the upholstered chair in the corner will use an intricate and colorful floral fabric.  The floral fabric helps to tie all the other fabrics together.  Usually, I will find the fabric with the large print and multiple colors first and select the solid, stripe and/or small patterned fabrics after, but this time the floral was the last fabric selected.

Overview of fabrics and wall coverings

Dining chair seat fabric

Dining chair welt around edge of seat

Upholstered chair fabric

Drapery trim
Now that I have made all of my selections I need to verify everything is available.  Once this is accomplished I will order the fabrics, trim and wallpaper.  I will also start the process of hiring the trades people.

Dotty
Dotty Wyman Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment